Monday, January 12, 2009

The Lost Art of Bathroom Graffiti

The other day, the song "867-5309—Jenny" came on the radio. My daughter was in the car and she was asking me what it was about. Well, if you don't know the song, it's a 1980's hit about a guy singing about a girl whose number he got off of a bathroom wall. I started to explain it to her, and then it hit me. No one really writes on bathroom walls anymore, so of course she would have no idea what it is! What a shame! I mean, sure, it's WRONG, but not THAT wrong (I'm pretty sure I never actually did it, but I am not 100 percent sure.... my brain gets fuzzy at certain moments..... protection mode, most likely). 

I can't remember the last time I read some good graffiti while answering nature's call in a public restroom. I used to love following others' relationships.... Karen loves Brad... scratch that.... Brad was a dork... Karen loves Mike.... scratch that.... Brad apologized.... Karen loves Brad again. It was kind of like a weird (but legal) peek into lives of total strangers. You couldn't help but think.... what the heck did Brad do that got him scratched off a bathroom wall etching? Sometimes there would be a phone number, but that was before the days of cell phones, so who wanted to risk a couple of dimes on a total stranger (when there was a perfectly good Centipede and Pac Man game in the waiting area begging for your change)?

Why has this become a lost art? I'm not trying to encourage bad behavior, but you know what they say ... "If that's the worst a kid is going to do......" Guess it's just another one of those simple pleasures of days gone by that I am going to have to live without. Unless.... no.... I couldn't! OR... COULD I!!?!?!? :)

Cindy

4 comments:

Louise F NZ said...

Ohhh I totally agree, after being at a girls school, there was nothing like the amount of info you could find out about a boy by visiting the loos!

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

Uhmm...YES! You definitely should if you never have, Cindy! LOL! I agree! Definitely a lost art! :)

Jan said...

LOL. Yep, if you wanted to know who liked who or who was a skank and who wasn't, you could always go to the john to find out!

Judy said...

An oldie but a goodie, said to have been written on a bathroom wall:
"Here I sit in stink and vapor,
the guy before me used all
the paper."