Sunday, January 11, 2009

Stick to What Works

As if the world isn't confusing enough, Domino's Pizza is making sandwiches, Dunkin' Donuts and Subway are making pizzas (pickles on a pizza -- gotta love it!), McDonald's is turning into a specialty coffee shop, and the dollar store really isn't (then again, they don't say how MANY dollars, do they?). 

Not being in on the top-level marketing meetings that hatched these great plans (I was busy that day, but they DID want me there... uh huh), I would guess that it has something to do with capitalizing on the latest trends.... sandwiches are popular, so are thousand-calorie coffee drinks. BUT, my concern is that they are losing their focus! Say for a sandwich place, work on making better sandwiches or adding to the types of sandwiches you sell (Jared, if you're reading this, it's a not-so-subtle hint to add corned beef to the menu... did you notice how I did not mention the sandwich place in question, but pretty much all of you know exactly where I am talking about?). If it's a pizza place, work on putting more than four pepperoni (pride in workmanship!) on the pizza. Last time I thought I would need a side order of microscope to find the mushrooms. But ah, take comfort--they make one heck of a chicken philly! Whatever...

Next thing you know, KFC will start selling meatball subs. Hmm, maybe not so bad as long as they work in the Original Recipe somewhere in there (secret herbs and spices... come to mama!!!). Remember... you read it here first! 

Hats off to this new week ... let's make it a good one!

Cindy

No comments: