Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Dance No More

For the last 12 weeks or so, I have been faithfully tuning in to Dancing With the Stars. That meant giving up between 1 and 2 hours of my precious Monday and Tuesday nights. Well, the finale was last night (11/25) .... so begins my period of mourning, until March, when it returns with a new cast of celebs. I'm sure they'll string us along, with teasers after the first of the year as to who will appear with the dancing pros. And, of course, there will be plenty of gossip about this season's stars and pros. As much as I hate to admit it, I look forward to that! Take that as a statement about the excitement factor in my life if you will, but at least I'm honest. 

What surprises me most is that I like this show at all. I am not a dancer. I have never been a dancer. I have never taken a dance class. And, unless you count thrashing around the dance floor at miscellaneous dives in college, I've probably spent a sum total of ten minutes dancing in public. I think the reason for that is because I grew up in the Brady Bunch era, so my dance moves are based on to two steps to the left and two steps to the right. Sure, I have tried the "robot" and miscellaneous hip-hop moves (in the privacy of my own home), but with the embarrassed screams of my daughter (STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) ringing loudly in my ears, I rethink my dreams of challenging Ginger Rogers to a dance-off. 

Funniest of all is that I am seriously thinking of taking a dance class now. If I do it, I'll do it on the down-low.... I don't want to be forced to break out my newest moves before I am ready. I also don't need mockery from my 11-year-old who likely would dance circles (and circles and circles) around me. We'll see. I might make it my New Year's Resolution (but that's a blog for another day).

So while I'm not shopping for dancing shoes just yet, I can fondly dream of smooth moves to come!

Cindy

2 comments:

Tenia Nelson said...

Dancing is tons of fun and you should definitely take a dance class!! Happy Thanksgiving!!

Unknown said...

I keep saying I want to take a dance class too. Maybe one day when the kids are older. LOL! I am going to miss DWTS too. I will admit it with you, I love the drama too. LOL!