Saturday, November 8, 2008

Sports-mom-a-palooza

Here we go again. The season starts today. I'll bite my tongue and grit my teeth for hours on end (Tylenol in purse? Check.). My son's first club volleyball tournament is later today, and my daughter's first every gymnastics meet is tomorrow. I don't know about you, but I have been around this stuff long enough to handle my kids' performances. What I Dread (capital D) is the PARENTS! Ugh. Ick. There are the ultimate cheerleaders, the blamers, the micromanagers, the perfectionists, and yes, even the sleepers and readers. Now, the last two, I can deal with. They're quiet. But the others... OH PLEASE! What's the point of it? Is it the rush of public embarrassment? The joy of making yourself look like a horse's arse? It's not the NFL, NBA, MLB or other professional organization (though I am sure at this point one of those paychecks would be the only way to recover the money that I've put into it!). I am the quiet viewer, and unless you can read my mind and know what I'm truly thinking, you'll like sitting next to me, I promise. 

I am prepared for plenty of awkward moments, however. We are with a new club, and I haven't talked to anyone at all since we left the last club. All the questions, all the phony "how do you do's" when I know all they really want is gossip. If I have time, I'll try to come up with a good story, let it circulate on the grapevine, get back to me, deny it, then let the denial recirculate for a while. SHOOT. I forgot to get a book. I finished my last one the other day, now I've got nothing. I'll find something around here, or pack the tried and true sudoku selection. People tend to think you're smart when you're doing those, so I'll take it!

Anyway, I'll report back later, if I survive. Have a great weekend!

No comments: